We are MOVING not CLOSING!
We are moving! As we continue to welcome more visitors to our farm each year, the reality has set in that our current eight acre site on Route 250 is beginning to limit our customer experience due to space limitations. When we first opened on this site in 1986, we never could have envisioned what Wickham Farms has grown into today. Today we are currently managing two venues to accommodate all of our visitors: the retail store on Route 250 and the apple orchard and vegetable fields located across the street off of Sweets Corners road. After the fall of 2018, it is our intention to close the Route 250 site and consolidate our operations down to the single site on the 100 acre venue off of Sweets Corners Road where we can take advantage of more space to better serve our visitors.
A Continued Focus on "Farm Fresh Family Fun"
This new space will allow our vistors to enjoy everything from Wickham Farms that has drawn families to the farm through the years, and much more! Change has been and will continue to be a constant at Wickham Farms but our core focus remain unchanged as we continue to strive to improve our visitor experience to the farm while remaining true to our motto of providing “farm fresh family fun”. Our timeline below highlights some of the changes and milestones that Wickham Farms has seen since 1986, as well as a look into our future plans.
Wickham Farms Milestones Timeline
- 1986 – 1st Season of Pick Your Own Pumpkins (property rented, not owned).
- 2002 – Route 250 property purchased. Gravel parking and tent added. 1st season with corn maze.
- 2004 – Current retail building constructed. Storage only in 2004.
- 2005 – YMCA proposal to build Eastside branch presented.
- 2005 – Retail building interior finishes completed. Open for ice cream June 2005.
- 2007 – Mini golf added.
- 2009 – Jumping Pillow added.
- 2012 – Sweets Corners Road property purchased and 1st season of CSA (this will become our future location).
- 2013 – Built Events Building on route 250 for CSA distribution, birthdays, and groups.
- 2014 – Planted 2,500 apple trees on the Sweets Corners Road farm.
- 2015 – Pick your own apple orchard opens (on a very limited basis). Additional 2,500 trees planted.
- 2016 – Planted additional 1,000 apple trees on the Sweets Corners Road farm. We now have over 6,000 trees in the orchard.
- 2017 – First Sunflower Spectacular Festival takes place. We are bulging at the seams on Route 250.
- 2018 – Wickham Farms fine tuning plans for Sweets Corners site. Possible first construction to take place Fall 2018.
- 2019 – Complete relocation of Route 250 activities to Sweets Corners. Project includes:
- Construction of new barns – retail store, events building, CSA barn, food service, rest rooms
- Improved parking
- Relocation of current attractions – Jumping Pillow, mini golf, train ride, etc
- Addition of new and improved activities – animal area, farm equipment attractions, and more. Stayed tuned for more info!
- Open for business on Sweets Corners Road
Planning for the Future
When we started selling pumpkins in 1986 out of a small red wagon, we never envisioned the Wickham Farms of 2018! Growth and change have always been constant, moving from the wagon to a tent, to our first building, and on and on. Looking to expand our farming operations with a CSA program and pick your own apples, we acquired the one hundred acre property on Sweets Corners Road in 2012.
When our apple orchard began producing in 2015, we faced the challenge of operating two retail venues during the fall months. This has proved challenging from both a staffing and customer communication point. A positive customer response to pick your own apples as well as the Sunflower Spectacular Festival in 2017 has given us a glimpse of the improved visitor experience that we can offer with a single, larger venue. By consolidated to Sweets Corners venue, we will be able to offer our best ever family fun experience on over 100 acres of beautiful farm land!
Our intention is to continue with operations as usual for one more season in 2018. If all goes according to plan, we will begin the process of relocating our retail business to Sweets Corners Road after the fall. With few exceptions, all the attractions you have enjoyed through the years will make the transition with us, along with several new features that will be ready for the fall of 2019.
With this transition, we are hoping to keep Wickham Farms as a long term staple in the Penfield community to be enjoyed for many generations to come.